Reframe our thinking.
Reshape their future.
Africa is not a problem to be solved, but a story to be told. The tried and tested formula of using children’s images has long been the bedrock of funding campaigns.
But now it’s time for a change.
It is time to acknowledge the complex power dynamics present when taking images and telling stories
SUPPORT THE CAMPAIGN:
Reframe our thinking
Chance for Childhood is starting a conversation about how we use images and tells stories in the sector. OverExposed seeks to reframe thinking and create better practices and policies around child-centred imagery and storytelling. Will you join us by committing to the statement below:
This decision has been taken based on the following pledge on the ethical standpoints of the organisation:
Reshape their future
- We will prioritise the rights and well-being of the children sharing their stories with Chance for Childhood.
- We acknowledge that informed consent is complex, can change over time and may not always be possible.
- We will share stories of children using positive strength-based language.
- We will actively ensure that no child is put at risk by the way we share their story online.
- Above all, Chance for Childhood will continuously reflect on the power and responsibility we hold in collecting and using stories and images of children.
As part of OverExposed, Chance for Childhood has taken the decision to remove identifiable features of children from imagery and video footage, this will include removing children’s faces from all fundraising campaigns. What will you do to reframe your thinking?
I completely support and applaud Chance for Childhood’s decision to remove children’s faces from all fundraising campaigns as part of their OverExposed campaign. For all too long, images of children suffering around the world have been plastered all over the media without any consideration of the long-term damage it causes, or any thought of their rights.David Lammy MP
Children in Africa deserve the same protections and rights as children in Europe, and this campaign comes not a moment too soon.
SUPPORT THE CAMPAIGN:
80% of the children we talked to in our focus group discussions told us they didn’t know why or how their photos are used.
Pledge to reshape your thinking and start the conversation
Join the movement and help reframe the story by taking the pledge today
Start the conversation! Access our free learning resource
Fight for Every Child! Ensure all children can have a safe & happy childhood